View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
That is great.....But we need to fix these things, make them clear, and pass laws..Its hard enough to be disabled then add some question if you can carry something or use it in public just so you can try to live and enjoy life!
There are laws, but staff doesn't always get the information correct. We have to be experts and help them do what's right.

United's policies on Assitive Mobility Devices is spelled out here:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...heelchair.aspx

Note that an assistive device used as a mobility aid (NOT for recreational purposes) has no battery size limit IF it is an integral part of the device and has a functional and protected off switch. If the battery is over 300wh, it MUST be checked with baggage (it can still be gate checked), labeled by the airline's tag as having Li-Ion battery, and the pilot must be notified.

This United Airlines form has been helpful to staff of United (and could also be useful when flying with other airlines):
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...hair-form.aspx

Segway had to be brought to the check-in counter and my information verified. Allow extra time, I suggest that you arrive at least one hour before boarding, and if you are gate checking you should be there at least 10 to 20 minutes before boarding time. Let them know you situation as soon as you can. If you have any issues ask for the airline's CRO (complaint resolution officer) who is supposed to be trained in handling these issues.

BTW - Some of the newer MiniPro models have batteries under 300wh, and might not be required to be checked, but you will still have to document them.

I just got back from a coast-to-coast trip with a Segway Elite+ PTR, which has a 620wh battery on Jet Blue.
Required calling their disability line and documenting everything, plus all of the above.

Last edited by TopFloridian; 12-11-2017 at 02:32 AM..
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote