View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2Macman View Post
.... I found it difficult to get a definite answer on the use of a switch during charging cycles having found anectodally in posts as many in favour as against the practice. I wonder if its possible to nail down the dicotomy of views to just one with some evidence? It seems a difficult task to say the least....
Fact: Each time the charging is "started" (e.g., plugged in from the not-plugged-in state), the battery condition, including cell balance, etc. is evaluated by the on-board electronics, and cells are charged and balanced individually at that time. As long as power continues to be applied, that initial-balance-and-charge cycle is not done again. There is just a continued maintenance charge going on.

Fact: Occasional cell balancing and charging is a good thing.

Fact: Leaving the batteries on continual continuous charge for a long time (months) is not great, because the cell balancing does not occur.

Fact: Not charging the LiIon batteries for a long time (months) is not good, because the batteries may discharge below the point where they can be recharged by the system.

Fact: If "storing" the Segway for a long time, if it is plugged in every 2-4 weeks, for a day or so, that does the job. [If you remember to do it].

The residual question: Using a timer with a daily cycle avoids "remembering", and does the cell balancing daily -- is that daily cell balance worse than cell balancing every 2-4 weeks?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote