View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 AM   #16
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
When you develop a new technology, you have to be very careful of the end result of any failures once you start selling them - If you don't, the public perception of your new gee whiz thing can turn 180 degrees almost overnight and the many millions you have invested are gone in an instant

I hear "It's better than a real Segway because it only weighs 28 pounds and you can carry it with you" and I guess some people actually think that - All of the amazing Segway safety technology has been reduced to 28 pounds and $750. Truly remarkable!

Do you think they left anything out?

Don
I think they left off the handle bars that keep you from stepping off it if it stops suddenly from failure or hitting an obstacle. Plus, they left off 3.5mph of top speed. Left off since 13.5mph has proven to be unsafe?

I never thought of Segways as safe. Plenty of news stories of those big powerful machines sending people to the hospital. Segway just promised good wire routing and battery management/charging circuits in their Amazon.com advertisements.

I thought of Segway safety as I took my Can Am DS450 ATV over some jumps by my house. Four wheels are the way to go if you want to be safe and have $7000 to burn. Think of the extra two wheels as redundancy.

Maybe riding on just two wheels is worth the risk? Risk for reward. Worth the risk for me as I enjoy having the mini pro that I can carry in one hand then toss it in my truck. Then ride it at an unexplored park while enjoying a refreshing beverage.

Last edited by Pescador12; 03-21-2017 at 02:51 AM..
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote