View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Southwest's Current Policy

Since SWA has been the most frequent airline mentioned, I thought I'd verify their current policy.

As of the date of this post, their policy RE Lithium battery powered devices is thus:
Quote:
If your wheelchair/scooter is powered by a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery, Southwest must be able to access the battery to determine that it is approved for transportation. The Li-ion battery must show no signs of any defects or damage. Your assistive device must be transported as checked baggage. If the Li-ion battery is securely attached and protected from short-circuit by being fully enclosed in the device’s battery housing, the battery may remain installed and there is no limit to battery size on these types of devices. If not, the battery must be removed and transported separately as checked baggage.
Here's my source: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html
Once there, click on the "Wheelchairs and Other Devices" section and check the "Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) Batteries" subsection.

I'd suggest you contact the airline for pre-approval before you fly. I'd also suggest you fill in the Wheelchair / Scooter information form in advance using guidance offered when you call for pre-approval. A doctor's note can't hurt.

Finally, if you intend to travel using a NineBot, I'd suggest you bring proof of UL2272 compliance.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote