View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrends View Post
Sorry to have skipped of this question, I got off topic. I do not have a handicapped symbol or anything displayed. I do wear braces on both my legs, so the second day in vegas I opted to wear shorts to try to get hassled less, and it didn't help.

I will be the first one to argue the fact that it should not be required, and if it is then it should also be required for all types of mobility scooters. I guess I don't understand why the segways are so discriminated against?
I agree with you but as nearly as I can figure there are several roots to the prejudice against them--One, of course, is the newness, the you've got to be kidding, it can't possibly be safe factor. I can understand that. I was a bit dubious too, but I knew my son uses one and what it has done for him, so I was game to try it. Prejudice has been defined as "being down on something you are not up on"...or haven't had a chance to try for yourself! So probably their rareness is also a factor.

Another factor--and I've been told that this is what Congress apparently had in mind when they lumped Segways with golf carts etc. as OPDMDs-- is their marketing as as a recreational device, not a disability device. This creates the image of wild and reckless "extreme" sports behavior. The person who has to decide to allow them, under current rules, has no way of knwing whether the person using one is actually disabled or not. And there are people who would take advantage of that to get privileges they are not entitled to. Anyone could joyride in a wheelchair, of course, but that is not too likely to happen although some might try to get away with it for the advantages--but the "reckless behavior" image factor isn't a big part of that kind of deceit.

Current law does not mention Segways by name which is also part of the problem. They would have to come in under the "other devices" category. Actually it defines wheelchairs and mobility scooters as "3- and 4-wheeled devices." If you want to get technical, any power wheelchair with 6 wheels would also be illegal under that bit of logic...and of course that isn't going to happen.

There is a lot of education to be done. It is almost Thankgiving--I guess we really should be grateful for the opportunity and challenge of being part of shaping new attitudes and understandings...

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote