View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I likely have that torque wrench. 10-75 ft/lbs clicker type.

Those bolts do look stretched. Could someone else have over torqued them during servicing? Hitting it with an air impact wrench? Could they have stretched when the wheel was loosely tightened down and still ridden?

A precision measurement equipment lab I used to work with would often throw out torque wrenches for being out of tolerance and not being economical to fix. Out of tolerance torque wrenches are common. Could yours be rusty or binding inside the torque wrench?

But, I figure you would have noticed the over torque you applied when it started hurting your hand more than usual.

I am betting that someone else over torqued it during previous servicing. Maybe tightening it down again and again as the nuts came loose during test driving.

Note, you have to clean off the rust on the mating surfaces to get an accurate torque. You have to take a wire brush to it. Otherwise, the rust binds it up early when torquing and then grinds down during use, thereby leaving the fasteners loose. I lost a wheel off my rusty car this way when I was young.

Repair is just getting a machine shop to press in new studs. Or a car shop. hub might need to be removed from the gear box.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote