View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone understands the relationship between the cows struck by lightning and the points I have posted.

Lily, I understand that you have personal concerns about potential lightning strikes, and it is only fair to you that you receive the best information possible that will help you to avoid being struck, and to minimize the possibility of death or injury if you are caught in a situation.

Though it is incredibly easy to do, some people are happy to provide opinions without apparently bothering to do any research. In today's world of almost instant access to factual information, this seems unconscionable, particularly where personal safety is concerned. If necessary, do your own research and learn what real lightning researchers say about the topic

For example, the most minimal research will demonstrate I am not basing my comments about putting your feet together on my personally-observed direct evidence. In fact, I suspect that none of the posters here have personally performed any tests of lightning strikes, though I admit there is some indirect evidence that some here have been struck themselves. Although I was already aware of lightning information, I took the time to research the specific questions. However, lightning is a form of electricity, which conforms to Ohm's law as it flows through the earth. Ohm's law is very basic knowledge for every electrical engineer and technician.

In a lightning strike of the earth, Voltage (measured with respect to the backgroud "earth" potential) is greatest at the point of the impact, and that voltage dissipates through to zero through the earth over distance. (Some info says 100 feet is still dangerous for an earth strike. Look up "fulgarites" to get an idea of the distance that the power of lightning can actually melt soil).

So, if one foot is closer to the strike location than the other, one foot will be at a higher Voltage than the other, and there will be a Voltage differential across your feet. It's just like touching a ground with one hand and touching a voltage source with the other, except this is likely thousands of volts (depends on conditions). Voltage differential causes current flow through a resistance. In this case, you. In a lightning strike, the farther your feet are apart, the higher the voltage between your feet, and the higher the electrical current that will flow through your body. You get shocked, and the current can be so high that your body incurs internal burn damage. Nasty.

There are lots of articles and data about this. FEMA has safety tips, for example, but words and data may be difficult for some, so I'm posting a picture showing the appropriate position.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/0...strated-guide/

Again, one can choose to blithely accept the overall odds of being struck (extremely low), or can choose to consider the significantly increased risks of an individual situation, such as being exposed on a Seg in a lightning storm. With real knowledge, one can make an informed decision about whether to play it safe, or to possibly contribute to next year's Darwin Awards.
My question was both very serious and, in part, facetious so I do appreciate both sets of answers. Your information is new to me so if I ever get in a situation where I need it I will indeed remember it. Thanks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote