View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post
Dmurphy, I wasn’t trying to fly under the radar. I knew what their antiquated policy is of what is and what is not ok to be used by mobility challenged individuals. You probably don't know that I’m a dwarf. I’m about 3’ tall. I have to take 2 to 3 steps to cover the same distance as an average height man does. I’ve used a Segway P133 series since 2003. I have 6 of them. Just to travel from our hotel to Disney Springs would have worn me out. They open up my world when it comes to getting around. There was no signs anywhere that said no 2 wheel mobility devices allowed. I didn’t see where they had the traditional 3 or 4 wheel scooters for rent. Should I have just stayed in my hotel room and waited for my wife and friends to come back? In my opinion Segways look different than scooters and wheel chairs and that’s why they want to restrict their use. Einstein said, “A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move toward higher levels.”
Hi Greg - I’m genuinely thrilled for you that the Segway gives you great mobility and abilities you wouldn’t have otherwise; that’s absolutely true to Dean Kamen’s vision and you’re exactly whom they were designing for. I wish the rest of the world adopted the Segway in the way it was intended; we’d have a very different world on our hands.

Now, having said that - please accept my apologies if I sounded confrontational; that wasn’t my intent at all. I was really trying to ask what the goal was - it’d be one thing if you didn’t know Disney’s policies beforehand and were coming here to share your story, either as a call to action or as something to share. But given that you knew what they’d say beforehand, I was trying to understand - did you intend this as a protest, or just wanted to see how far you could push it?

I don’t agree with their policy but as we know - this has been to court and held up. Disney is a special case; laws apply to them differently than most.

For instance; I’m also a (very) amateur drone pilot and thus familiar with TFR’s (Temporary Flight Restrictions)... did you know that Walt Disney World is the only private property with a permanently temporary flight restriction? (Or, is that a temporarily permanent flight restriction?

So it’s clear to me that fighting The Mouse is akin to fighting the government.... times and places where it’s necessary but you’d darned well better make sure your ducks are in a row if you want to succeed.

So to that end - if you’re trying to stage a one man protest by getting tossed from Disney Springs, more power to you, but I doubt it’d be effective. Maybe inviting a news channel to run a story on how Disney isn’t accommodating you in an effective manner? That’d be a lot more successful ...

Just my $0.02 for all that’s worth - and really all I was trying to get at was understanding what your goals are. Sorry if it came out any other way!

—Dennis
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote