View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #26
Paula465
Paula465 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I do believe if a falsehood is offered, it does behoove us to post the correct information. This was not the gist of my response.

What I was addressing was once the correction has been made, if the falsehood was offered up by an attention seeker, they will not let your contraction of their post lie, but will re-post. At this point, it does no good to continue to try to persuade or refute what this person has posted.

However, I have found that it is our nature to continue to press our point, which will continue to feed the need for attention of this particular type of poster. This is the point where I think all should just walk away.

If the truth has been posted, it does not require affirmation over and over again and if no one responds to the attention-seekers refutation the truth will continue to be visible (most times, not always of course; there are always exceptions).

What I have found in the continuation of the back and forth exchange is the truth ends up getting buried under the weight of a string of posts which will continue on for pages as the attention seeker will not cease his (or her) quest for that which he craves.

EDIT: As Bob posted while I was crafting my response, I will add this. I enjoy healthy discourse. We are individuals and we have different viewpoints and different ways of expressing ourselves and I would never suggest that this sort of interchange should not take place. It is how we learn.

I may have misunderstood your orginal post and if so, I do apologize. My response was directed at those topics and/or posters who have no intention of holding an intelligent discussion, but merely wish to continue to engage someone in a debate for the satisfaction that it gives them because they are gaining your attention.

Last edited by Paula465; 04-04-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Paula465 is offline   Reply With Quote