View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thoughts from someone who's actually worked on power circuitry as an electrical engineer...

There is no inherent reason you cannot charge batteries with a generator.

I think it quite possible there is an entirely different cause. Or, it could be a defective generator -- obviously, a generator that puts out too low a voltage won't get the job done. But the type of charging circuitry on a Segway is pretty forgiving; it can handle a significant range of frequencies and voltages (I don't have the specs in front of me).

But it's likely the problem is just that the batteries weren't charged at all. He may not have known how to use his generator, or may have expected to charge them with just a few minutes of charging, then left them fully discharged before returning them to you. The generator may have been too noisy! Self-discharge would then have taken them down below the point where they would accept a charge.

In any event, it's likely the batteries can be revived.

I would not hesitate to charge my Segway from a generator. I've seen a small portable generator charge many Segways simultaneously for Segway Polo.

But I *would* verify that my generator was actually working properly. That's very easily done.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote