View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
... Perhaps at some under-engineered facility, but certainly not system wide.
I think the point Steven is making is that system-wide the system IS under-engineered; no-one could have predicted the explosive growth. So now, everyone is trying desperately to keep up with demand.

It's not so simple as saying "add more" -- I work for a local government and we're busily trying to predict what our needs will be in three years in order to get them budgeted for City Council to approve. (Anyone got a good crystal ball they can spare???) Most large corporations also have a two-to-three year lead time for large acquisitions.

You can't just think "I'll get this, and then get more later if I need it". If you go back to Council for more, it's "Why didn't you get what you needed the last time?"

The infrastructure is growing, but do you see at&t going out and replacing every home phoneline with 1 Gb fiber to the demarc by 2011? 100Gb to the Central Offices?

It is coming, but slowly - as demand and finances allow.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote