Thread: Slime
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Like and there are alternatives

I tried half a bottle in each tire and it wasn't enough, it didn't coat well, and I still experienced slow air loss. I finally put in a full 8oz in each tire, and went gliding. I haven't had any troubles since.

The slime for tubeless tires works just fine, just be sure to put it in and do a lot of gliding so it can thoroughly coat the inside of your tire and 'set up' just a bit.

I made the mistake of putting slime in my bicycle tires too close to the end of the season. I put the bike in storage and now I have seriously out of balance tires. Luckily the tubes only cost a few dollars.

On a seg, even if the slime does settle a bit, you'll probably never notice it.

The other alternative is a latex compound that some in the bike community swear by.

Personally I prefer the slime. I've ridden through some nasty construction areas and picked up thorns, nails, glass, and the tires are still going strong.

I had one bad puncture, that didn't seem to want to seal with the slime, and I think it's because the tires are so low pressure. I inflated my tires to 75psi to force the sime into the puncture (i waited till I saw it ooze out the hole) then I deflated back to 16.5 psi.

No problems since then.

Of course now that Segway is selling tires with tubes, you'll need to get the appropriate slime for whatever tires you have.