View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
jimbo74
jimbo74 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I use a Chen Shin 3 inch tire, 3 inches wide, by 3 inches tall, on the 14 inch rim. Because of this taller sidewall (by about an inch), the tire has a larger diameter, and therefore all the factors are changed, and my mileage indicators on the info key are no longer accurate. (Because my speed is about 10% faster than displayed, I am guessing that about 1.1 miles is traveled for every mile displayed.)

I have not done much long distance gliding, in that most times I cruise and stop, cruise and stop, and do lots of errands and buzzing around town. I do not go straight on any for any great lengths much at all.

Because of all this, I do not know at all how my tires have affected my range, other than to say that it is not enough to significantly notice at all.

I have not checked the air pressure in the tires for a year now. I frequently look down at them and think I should. I am also pretty sure they are softer than I usually set them. I typically inflate them to about 18 pounds, and while there is some rolling resistance change, there is also the longer circumference, and therefore our experiences are not going to be exact. Also, I would guess my air pressure is not at about 12 pounds based on the ride, perhaps they are even softer. Since I do not need the miles, I have not bothered to inflate them higher, as the softer tires do give a softer ride.

I would say that with 18 pounds of pressure, and my larger tires (which would likely consume more energy getting to speed, but may cruise at a steady speed with no significant increase in energy consumption yet move farther for a given wheel RPM, I would be very surprised if my range is decreased by even the 10% difference in wheel size. I might even guess that the range is nominally increased, on a long, steady glide, but it is only a guess.

On high tension starts and stops, with lots of climbing, more similar to what an X model is designed for rather than an i model, of course, my larger tires would most likely reduce range.

In simple automotive terms, my city mileage is likely worse with my big knobby tires, but my highway mileage is likely about the same, or perhaps even slightly better.

BUT, my overall ride and enjoyment is greatly enhanced. My security in the rain or mud, or even sand is much better. Wet grass is stickier with my segway tires than my hiking boots. So, all in all, any costs are more than accounted for, and worth it with the better tires.
All most helpful and appreciated indeed, so you do not expect there has been any significant "hit" in the miles per charge dept. I'm on my second set of lithiums new just before the tires, and had wished to do an A/B comparison, but feel I'm good from your experienced conclusions. The first set got an honest 24 easy going flat miles, and this second set is getting a lot more inclines, so I'm charging with a greater frequency, of course.

As these new tires came with the addition of a tube, perhaps I can expect also to be slightly less diligent on the tire pressure checks? If you feel ok to go a year based on feel, I imagine this is partly why. My old timer i167 runs like a tank and looks to have not only a new life but purpose as well.

Ya gotta love these machines! Having this forum is truly invaluable as I seek to maintain, upgrade, and glide glide glide,,,

Jim
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote