View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
Confirmed (with new inexpensive Acutire gauge) that the IRC's on 180 rims were shipped with 15 PSI, thus the "comfort" (as in forgiving shock absorber affect) is from the tires. Am feeling solid maneuvering environments I knew I was pushing the limits of adhesion prior.

Have not tried them out in a store yet but they seem to squeak more on my smooth fake wood floor more than original bald ones. (during turns) I may need to hang onto to the old ones on 167 rims for a bit till I am sure how they are indoors.

One other "con" is they do leave some black on clean pavement doing a short circle turn. May be dirt, not sure yet.

Would welcome others comments who have tried out the IRC's.

Jim
Original segway tires are sold as being "silicone" not rubber, so that they do not mark floors inside. I believe that all tires are a composite of different materials anyway, but clearly the original segway tire was commissioned to be non marking.

When you replace it with a tire that is not designed to not mark, you will loose that feature. I am not saying that all tires leave marks that do not specifically say that they are 'non marking', but it is a safe bet that they are more likely to, given the right circumstances.

Most times I do not do much with my segway that would generate marks with my after market tires that are not designed to not leave marks, but spinning in place, or very tight turns that are common in doors, is one of the things more likely to mark the floor.

For me, the much more obvious issue with my after market tires, that have a much more pronounced tread pattern, is the fact that they drag in dirt and water much more than the factory tires.

All this is very much acceptable as a minor trade off for the improved ride and comfort and traction I get.

Each segway operator must make these evaluations for themselves based on their needs and priority list of different tire characteristics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote