Thread: Segway Lifts
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
Trigger is an X2 with cargo plates. As a result, if you have limited in-vehicle space, one could strap the ramps across the cargo plates. I've done that a couple of times when my in-vehicle storage limited. Also the plate's handles make it relatively easy to offload Trigger.

More thoughts on the ramps. I use four (4) foot ramps as my Expedition sits high, perhaps a bit higher than your Enclave. You should, therefore, evaluate your height needs as you may be able to use two (2) or three (3) foot long ramps in your application. As another option, you can probably also find a hitch that drops down a couple of inches or so which will also reduce your need for longer ramps. As another Glider here stated, be careful it doesn't ride so low as to bottom out. Finally, the rate of incline from ground to basket increases the difficulty of loading Trigger. This is mostly because Trigger is an X2 and has wider tires which sometimes catch the ramps side. Obviously an i2 would be less susceptible to this risk.
I'm trying to avoid adding the cargo plates if I can help it; I kinda like the sleek look without it. Vein I know!

But I suspect you're right, the Enclave sits a little lower than the Expedition (I think) ... I'm thinking 3-ft ramps may do the trick. The question is of angles - obviously the shorter the ramp, the steeper the climb. The cargo box won't be an issue as far as bottoming out - It has a 2" riser shank and I can accommodate a flat ball mount if need be; the hitch is well designed on the Enclave.

And yes - given the smaller tires (100/85R14's currently; 80/80R14's shortly) on the i2, I'm not worried about catching the side. Truth be told, I could probably do this with a set of notched 2x4's instead of a "dedicated" ramp.

Hmm - now that I think about it - maybe I'll check with my warehouse team at work. We ship palletized racks quite often and they come with prebuilt ramps; if we have a spare set ...
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote