Thread: Segway Lifts
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
I have a cargo carrier and a 2" hitch on our Buick Enclave as well. Now I'm considering how to get the Segway in/out of said carrier. What ramps did you use?

And when transporting upright, did you ever come up with something to hold the Leansteer bar in place? I'm thinking about making some kind of brace or bracket I can attach to the basket to keep the LeanSteer steady. Probably just an upright piece of wood notched appropriately with a strap, but I haven't really prototyped anything yet - too danged cold to do anything... that'll be a springtime project!
The ramps were purchased either through eBay or Tractor Supply in '07 or '08. Memory is that they were less than $100/pair. In order to make the ramps work with the basket I drilled holes in both and then use quick disconnects to keep them static. Power Trigger up the ramps and lock down with the ratcheting straps. Then store the ramps in the vehicle compartment for the trip. As far as the LeanSteer, I originally took it off (added about 10 min. on each side of ingress/egress). As of late, last 7+ years, I have been just tying it down and it doesn't seem to have caused any excessive wear. It does however "wobble" a bit during the trip. Your idea of a bar seems like a very useable idea assuming you can lock it down sufficiently that it doesn't fall off and bounce into the vehicle behind yours.

From initial setup (installing basket & ramps), loading, then to dismount it probably takes less than 10-15 minutes. If the basket is left on the vehicle (as is typical on trips); ramp setup is less than 3-4 minutes on loading and less than 1 minute when doing the ramp less dismount. If you use ramps for both loading & dismount, then probably 3-5 minutes on each side.

Pic of my setup is in my profile.

Last edited by Seginaway; 01-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: add pic
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote