View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 03:14 AM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Here in New Zealand I still have a dozen or more customers who actively use their Gen 1 machines every day to get around. They either just like, or rely upon, the rigid Control Shaft.

I wonder how many units are out there still running that I am unaware of? I imported and sold about 115 Gen 1 units between the end of 2003 and mid-2006, as I recall. I still have spare parts (mostly used parts, nowadays), and assist the active users with these. Fortunately battery packs are backwards compatible...but CSBs are becoming like hen's teeth.

These days, if a platform develops a 'latch fault' then the only option is to swap out the PowerBase with a known-good PowerBase that is still going strong. Fortunately there are a few around.

But it does seem a shame that nothing can be done to repair a latched unit anymore. Unlike classic cars that enthusiasts love to restore, repair, polish up and take out for a drive...it seems that as we glide headlong into our digital future that classic PTs are destined to become static displays only.