View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpink View Post
Hi All,

I am getting some flack from the local government at one of our tour locations because of our 10 years old minimum age requirement for our tour there (we do require any minor to be accompanied by their parent or guardian). Any information would be helpful on what the minimum age is for other tour operators and does anyone know if Segway has a minimum age recomendation?

Thanks!
I'm surprised that as a tour operator you are not aware of Segway INC's most basic requirements (included in the documentation that comes with all Segway PTs). The minimum age recommended by Segway INC is 16 years old. Please, do not think I am attacking you by saying this, I am genuinely surprised you do not know this.

Our insurance will go down to 12 years old but we stick with 14 (and still require that an adult is present). All tours are different and all approaches differ. What works well for some might not work well for others. And just because someone is 14 years old, doesn't mean they are guaranteed a ride. We have turned people away for safety and attitude problem reasons.

We use x2s which are heavier than the small Segway - and whilst I'm sure some 10 year olds could operate a Segway x2 without too much difficulty, we take our riders up and down hills through the woods etc. which means the extra maturity and usually weight comes in handy.