View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
It makes me wonder how much more/less popular the Segway would('ve) been if he'd have said 'This device will be a failure and only lame people will want it'

Edit: Sarcasm...
I know you had your tongue firmly in cheek, but I wonder if your comment is what is seen by most?

I know that somewhere between 50 and 100 thousand machines seem to have been made. Not nearly what was predicted by some, but not a garage project either...

13 years after the introductions of 2001, the company still exists. That alone is against the odds. Most start-ups do not make it that long.

There are some, mobility impaired come to mind, but there may be others, where the segway fits a truly unique position that cannot be matched by other devices of other designs.

The Chinese have copied it, and have it in mass production as a knock off. (I wonder if there are more copies than originals out there, (Freego, etc)

All of this does not indicate failure to me, except as compared to the expectations drawn in the beginning...

I think it would be considered a full on success, if recognized as a nitch market item if the roll-out went more like this,

" We have a cool new device here, totally unique, with a never before seen control system for personal transportation... We hope you like it, and tell your friends..."

With humble introductions, I wonder if the Segway would have been considered a true success...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.