View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #28
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Not every segway accident is going to be a low speed, low force event. Consider getting hit by a drunk driver on a crosswalk. You might break every bone in your body and get thrown 30 feet. Wearing a helmet in this situation might mean the difference between life and death. But I don't wear a helmet, so I need to depend on my awareness. I accept that this will only inch me toward 100% safe while never ever reaching it.
I wear a helmet if I'm going to be sharing the environment intermittently with cars.

I do not wear a helmet if I'll be sharing it with shopping carts.

It's perfectly possible to fall and hit your head on the corner of a shelf and do serious damage, or suffer brain damage from a bad fall onto a store floor.

But I draw my risk threshold between these two points. Cars are dangerous and unpredictable. I know of ZERO bicycle brain-damage events that did not involve an automobile. And zero of any type in stores.

Not a statistically valid sample, but consistent with my decision to draw the line between there.

I find helmets to cause more problems than they solve, in places such as stores, due to their impact on visibility. Not a large impact; I did wear them in stores for a long time, but enough to annoy, as situation awareness is key in preventing not just accidents, but also events that might annoy others.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.