Thread: Segway Lifts
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Our 'solution' was to install the cargo racks on the Segs - That makes it really easy for two people to lift them into the van. We carry them in a Ford Transit Connect which has recessed cargo hooks in the exact perfect place for carrying a pair of Segs. It's only about a ten minute process to load and strap them down and about half that to get them out. My wife is just 5' 4" and she has no problem lifting her half of the Segs
The Ford TC has quite a bit more "headroom" than our Enclave. For me to carry it inside, the Leansteer would have to come off. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to -- otherwise it has to lay down on its side, and I don't particularly like that either. Just trying to be cheap here and not spend the $500+ for the hitch carrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
The ramps were purchased either through eBay or Tractor Supply in '07 or '08. Memory is that they were less than $100/pair. In order to make the ramps work with the basket I drilled holes in both and then use quick disconnects to keep them static. Power Trigger up the ramps and lock down with the ratcheting straps. Then store the ramps in the vehicle compartment for the trip. As far as the LeanSteer, I originally took it off (added about 10 min. on each side of ingress/egress). As of late, last 7+ years, I have been just tying it down and it doesn't seem to have caused any excessive wear. It does however "wobble" a bit during the trip. Your idea of a bar seems like a very useable idea assuming you can lock it down sufficiently that it doesn't fall off and bounce into the vehicle behind yours.
This is more akin to what I'm thinking currently... which is why I was asking about the ramps themselves. I can probably fabricate something or just get folding motorcycle ramps; it's a matter of how long they are and how badly I want to carry them around. :-)

I'm thinking about building some kind of a "leaning triangle" if you will - maybe a pair of angle irons coming up to form a triangle with the carrier as the base. That'll give me a single point of attachment for the Leansteer in the center. I can maybe make them swivel on a bolt off the carrier frame so I can "collapse" them down when not in use. Just thinking out loud - trying to come up with a convenient way to travel.

Manually lifting in/out of the vehicle will be all on me if we go that route - It'll likely be "just" me and my 10-yo son traveling (he with his MiniLITE, and me with the i2 SE) - don't think my wife wants to be seen with a Segway....

.... yet ... :-)
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote