View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
And if the problem is with the "calibration" (i.e., the Infokey is incorrectly showing the state of charge)? - that is, neither the batteries nor the powerbase?

Note that the calibration procedure (in the instruction manual) does not discharge the battery to zero. The Segway (if operating properly) will turn off at the point where the batteries can be recharged. That's the same point that it would, if gliding, do the "stick shake warning" and shut down.

Please keep us informed as things develop.
My guess (and yes, just a guess!) is that the calibration isn’t really the issue since the battery depletion has been about as I would expect. So it’s not as if the gauge is “stuck” per se - it’s going down as I use the battery.

I also suspect it’s not a calibration issue since the charging lights go green and stay solid green - even after a full day, no blinking at all. If the batteries were really “topped off” and just the gauge was out of whack, the lights would blink, right? I’d rather leave a little charge in the battery if I can, rather than bring it down to stick-shaker level. If nothing else, that’ll make it easier for me to move it around if I have to pack it up.

Unfortunately I don’t have the gear to check the battery capacity. I could put a multimeter on it, but that wouldn’t tell us anything but the voltage - no real bearing on the level of charge.

Ugh - if I had a second unit here, it’d be easier to diagnose. Did the overnight battery-out hard reset, with the batteries in the house at 72 degrees. Plugged it in about 9am this morning; will check again at 9pm tonight and if it’s still showing 2 bars ... methinks we have a charger problem.

Just assuming until we speak with Segway Inc but for now - it’s all I got. :-)
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote