View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You guys are more the technical whizzes than I am, and leaving aside the question of whether you end up paying more for plugged in electricity or gas at the pump, but just looking at it in terms of gas at the pump, wouldn't this decrease the cost of gas at the pump because you'd end up buying less of it - so you would get more "mpg" - in essence - more miles for each gallon you bought?

I mean, I know that with my Insight I got up to 84mpg (well, actually, using the gauge that went across the bottom of the speedometer display, I could get over 100mpg for very short periods of time, and by conscious driving could keep it at around 65mpg) but ultimately, over the life of the car (the driving), the average I sustained was 57mpg. This was still about 2x what I could get in any other car I'd driven up to that time.

So, my question is (from this non-technical person)are you saying that the article above says 250mpg, and it's really like I'm saying over 100mpg on my insight, but that ultimately it would be considerably less (like my 57mpg)?

Pam