View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 02:42 AM   #30
Private Pile
Private Pile

5 yr Member

My two cents. This is all too bad. It bums me out that the renters are there to make a quick buck. That said... it also bums me out that there is a hard and fast rule/law that only people using the park for jogging/cycling are entitled to do so. Why shouldn't someone who wanted to glide around it be able to? Something that, yes, I love to do for pure fun. Not all of us bought our Segways to commute to and from work. Some of us did buy it for (shocker) pure pleasure. That it has been more than I hoped, that it has replaced my car on short trips, is a great bonus. That I worry about my right to use it being taken away from me is something I didn't consider before purchasing.

As PT did on his original post, I'm typing this without really thinking out all the issues. It does seem to me that the renters in the park just sped up a process that will inevitably happen as more Segways are purchased. People WILL go out searching for interesting places to ride just for the fun of it. The fact that some use it mainly to commute does not make their right to glide any more important than anyone else's, again in my opinion. This may be a hard fact to digest. It seems that a few want to say, "hey, I'm using this for a good reason, and you're just getting your jollies. You need to give up your right, so I can have mine." Is this where we're headed? I hope not. I hope that there's room out there for all of us. Okay, forgive the stream-of-consciousness. I'm tired and cranky.
Private Pile is offline   Reply With Quote