View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

While a Stirling engine (yes, I was mistyping it earlier, following the topic title; I thought it looked wrong but failed to check) is generally considered an "external combustion engine", that's somewhat misleading, in that it doesn't depend on combustion at all. More accurately, it's a heat engine.

It's not a steam engine. The working fluid is generally a gas, although I'm sure you could have a mixed phase system. It's generally recirculated, so generally, you don't get any distillation going on as part of the engine itself.

That doesn't mean Dean's thing doesn't do it differently -- but then it wouldn't really be following the Stirling Cycle exactly.

Still, I suspect the distillation (if any) is not directly a result of the engine's operation, but rather the engine's cooling. A Stirling Engine is dependent on the temperature difference, so cooling the cool end by boiling water, while heating the hot end by burning fuel fits the picture pretty well.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.