View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
A snarky Verge article needed some clumsy idiot to show how NOT to operate a SoloWheel.

If it were a real unicycle, that kid wouldn't have gotten across the aisle before he dumped it, assuming he hadn't put in the time to learn how to ride a unicycle.

Despite the fact that I don't personally give a hoot whether this gadget makes it or not, it does obviously have a learning curve to it, and the SoloWheel people really blew it in not have this kid do at least a little learning off camera.

This is the SoloWheel equivalent of George Bush's first Segway "glide."

What was interesting to me were the "training wheels" under the foot plates. Perhaps the company had earlier overestimated the abilities of people to get the hang of the machine without them.

I think they're a bad I idea, as they could easily catch on protuberances while someone was underway at speed.

Another interesting thing this gadget points up is the fact that both the SoloWheel and the Segway PT have their respective operational limitations--though the Segway has inherently much better capabilities than the SoloWheel.

If someone wants to buy into either, they have to do it with the realization that there IS a learning curve with each, and there IS a certain amount of hazard with each which no amount of helmets, skid gear, or insurance policies, can keep them from getting injured or killed. Same could be said about hang gliders, para gliders, small aircraft, or helicopters.

What WILL keep them safe is a substantial degree of integrity and honesty to adequately learn the operation of each, and to NEVER compromise with respecting the characteristics and limitations of each machine.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 08-27-2012 at 03:04 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote