View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 AM   #9
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

I know a lot of us have posted before on health issues and our use of Segway - I just thought it would be interesting to have one thread will everyone 'in the same boat' posting with their experiences.

I do appreciate everyone sharing their info. I think this could prove to be a useful thread as a reference point for action groups.

In addition to my own personal use I have demo'd to several people who have mobility issues or have corresponded with them and two that I know of have gone on to purchase a Segway. One gentleman with MS and the other with severe nerve damage in his spine (resulting in a very MS'like gait).

It's interesting to see what ailments can be helped by conserving energy, or relieving balance problems.

Ralph Chaney (RWC) of this forum referred to many of the people who could be helped as "the invisible disabled." We met a while back to work on his video about the Segway. I didn't really think about his comment until some time later and then realized how profound it was.

There are literally thousands of people who are disabled, but don't fall into the 'obvious' patterns of disability. I for one look pretty good (healwise) but have distinct problems with stamina, fatigue, balance etc. but I don't 'look disabled.'

There are those with COPD (as with one poster here), CFS, asthma and much, much more. Lot's do not qualify for the blue parking placard.

I'm just curious to see how many people post on this thread and how many disabilities the Segway is helping along the way.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote