Thread: Football?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #32
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well it depends on the celebrity, what makes them a celebrity and what it is you, as an individual, may care to like about them.

Beckham is a celebrity. Famous for being a top-class footballer, model and male half of "Posh & Becks". I think he is an exceptional footballer, and as the captain of the England football side, was a good leader for our team. He was recently not picked for an upcoming friendly and whilst I think that was the right decision (no proof of his match fitness), an England side without him right now just won't be the same. That is all I meant. I'm not a big fan of being famous for being famous. And I know Dean Kamen is not a fan of the love people put into sporting icons. I'm not big on sports myself. However, one man's celebrity is another man's... er, non-celebrity? I guess in the field of science, Dean is a celebrity. Would you agree? Perhaps in your town, you're regarded as a celebrity. Admiring others for the things they have done or do, or have not done or choose not to do, is not a character floor IMO. It's not the fact that someone is a celebrity they're admired, it is usually for some action or inaction. May we all place our regards where we see fit.