View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Hi Karl

Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here!

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.
I can boil that all down to the beginning and the end...

I have so few brain cells left, I keep them numbered and have a pet name for each. Loosing a few brain cells for me might be the difference of being sentient or not. (Some here may say I have already lost that contest...)

You need to start this device in a place devoid of cars, people and buildings. Sounds like a great device, as long as each ride starts and ends in Kansas. Maybe Oklahoma. Perhaps an abandoned aircraft carrier.

As long as these criteria are met, seems like a great item...

All kidding aside, keep us posted on your progress. Perhaps this was the one and only spill you will ever have to report.

Also, I recall a movement last year or two ago, about people who were trying to pad all poles and posts on sidewalks over there, in order to help those who walk and text at the same time, and had been walking into posts.

Is that still going on? If so, you may want to only start and end your glides in places where all (and I mean ALL) the potential obstacles are padded for your comfort as you collide with them.

I just thought of a way you can comfortably glide most anywhere you like... Hire a bunch of kids who can run along side you with mattresses. (perhaps air mattresses would be easier)

If you have the money, and they hold the mattresses vertical like walls, you can have your own travelling padded octagon. Kind of like a padded cell that moves with you...

On weekends, you can save some money, and use a travelling hexagon.

Good luck. Keep us posted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.