View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #47
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?

6. Again, I am glad you seem to be okay. Story would have been much worse with permanent injury.

Additionally,
You mention that the tumble is all your own fault. I might say that I believe that everything we do, or don't do is our own fault, but in this case, while you did tumble because of actions you took, it is worth remembering that each tool we choose to use has its own set of additions and subtractions from any situation.

If you try to hammer a nail with a rock, the nail may go into the wood, but you may easily damage your fingers or the wood, and will more likely do this than if you use a hammer. The fault of damage would be yours for choosing the rock, but if you have no hammer, it may be a reasonable choice.

You chose to use this airwheel for a task. The airwheel brings to the table a certain set of advantages and disadvantages. Your tumble is a result of your choosing to use the airwheel, but also because of the characteristics of that airwheel. In the same situation, had you chosen a bicycle, a segway, or a car, or your own shoes, the results would have likely been different. Because of this, the airwheel also has some culpability in the damage to your body.

We all make discriminating decisions about the tools we use every day. Bike with exercise, sweat and enjoyment? Segway with less exercise, less sweat, more notoriety, enjoyment, and ...? Air wheel with all it brings and does not bring? Car with less enjoyment, exercise and sweat, but more convenience and speed, but also the hassle of parking and the nagging annoyance of fossil fuel consumption when not needed?

These are all presented to us each and every day. At some point, most of us want to use each tool available to us. At other points, each conveyance I mentioned above will not get chosen, often times for what it may have been chosen for on another day.

Over time, some will make the cut, and become a standard conveyance in our every day choices, and some will fall from daily use. There are things I use less than I used to, because the novelty has worn off, or because their pluses have been subtly overcome by their minuses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 08-16-2014 at 11:41 AM..