View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #42
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.
Minimise, yes, but you can never eliminate those situations. I'm quite cautious, but I still encounter surprises on occasion. On such occasions, I find the Segway outhandles all my other "last mile" transports (kick scooters, bicycles) in response, accuracy, and predictability.

Redundancy has saved me from harm on several occasions, "unfortunately". I have an early i2, and if you've been following these forums you will remember I have had numerous subsystem failures that resulted in controlled shutdowns. If there had been no built-in redundancies, I hate to imagine what could have happened...