View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #41
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Have someone take a video for us to see? I know with my balance problems no way...but would be cool to see how a Seger makes the transition! Be safe
I'm probably past the transition stage now having been using it on and off (no pun intended) this last week. However, I'd echo what Gihgehls said earlier - I don't think actually learning to use it was affected by my Segway skills. The learning is so different. Sure, you lean forwards and backwards etc., but I think a non-Segway rider would find it just as easy/tricky as I did. I think this device requires more skill to learn and your rate of success will be very personal based on your own individual abilities. Hence a video of me pootling around - or even videos of me learning, would be no different to other videos already online (other than people will be quicker to learn or take longer).

So basically, any videos you find on youtube will be just as valid, whether the rider uses Segways or not. I'll put some videos that I found useful at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
My issue with this device would be evasive maneuvering / emergency stops. On the segway there have been countless times I have needed to turn and/or stop quickly and accurately to avoid something unexpected. I can't see how this can be accomlished as effectively (or at all) with a solo/air wheel.
I think once you have developed a high level of proficiency on these devices your ability to turn and stop will be better. Braking works pretty much like on a Segway. Only having a single wheel (smaller than a Segway on some models and narrower too) and no handlebar to hold, probably limits the aggressiveness of the braking manoeuvres but it will brake pretty well in my limited experience. The best bit is you are so low and not going much faster than 10MPH most of the time, in an emergency (I've had a few - "I'm about to hit a lamppost" type emergencies), you can step off or jump off. If you are quick you can grab the handle or if you have the learning band, you just hang on to that to prevent the wheel continuing without you. You can turn very quickly - probably quicker than on a Segway by twisting your feet/legs. But I've not mastered that yet.

The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.

Other thoughts:
  • there is no key, just a single push button to power on and power off the device
  • Changing the tyre seems tricky has you have to take the case apart - but at least the valve is easily accessible and the tyres are readily available (standard ebike tyres).
  • No kickstand!
  • No lights (for illumination) or reflective gear (shame - they could at least carry some reflective stripes or something).
  • Very very quiet running. Quieter than a Segway - and less wheel-to-ground noise (because there is less wheel!).
  • Fewer legal issues. But that will vary country to country / state to state I guess. But Segways are not legal in the UK but these are so it is a plus. Although, I hope to hear of some more promising info about this on Monday.

These are some of the videos I found useful:

First attempts (this guy did much better than I did!)

Commuting in London promo

General promo

Airwheel starter video.

Learning to ride.

Learning the Solowheel