View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Actually, Karl, you did not ask for proof. You simply said you did not see any claim to have evidence. Not the same thing, of course.

I did not offer evidence about the Republican strategy. Those who read widely and are open minded can draw their own conclusions, and certainly should have by now. I have learned that evidence, for some people, is beyond the realm of possibility. These folks already "know" the answer and only seek confirmation of their personal beliefs.

However, searching for "republican strategy" on Google, I found this within 30 seconds. http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo

David Frum is very politically conservative, and is well connected within the Republican party. Look him up on Wikipedia (if you trust that gol-derned internet!). He is in a position to know and is intelligent enough to comprehend the strategy of the Republican party.

Summarizing the salient point of his article:

Quote:
At the beginning of this process we made a strategic decision: unlike, say, Democrats in 2001 when President Bush proposed his first tax cut, we would make no deal with the administration. No negotiations, no compromise, nothing. We were going for all the marbles. This would be Obama’s Waterloo – just as healthcare was Clinton’s in 1994.
This time, when we went for all the marbles, we ended with none.
This is not "proof", of course, but is is surely evidence. Even a half-baked search of conservative sources could easily confirm the Republican "do nothing and let them fail" strategy. As a result of this strategy, the legislation that is passing is entirely the product of the Democratic party. It didn't have to be this way. The resulting legislation probably would have been better.

Will the political landscape change in November? Almost assuredly! Historically, it always has. However, as the Frum article states, the big ticket items, like health care, are not going to be repealed, no matter what happens in November.

So, going back to the OP, the "hope and change" thing is working out reasonably well for those that voted for hope and change. Big things have already happened. Do I need to provide evidence for that?

...and just for the record, I view the statement "take our country back" as suspicious and elitist no matter where it originates. However, as long as "take it back" means voting in November, I can live with it.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote