Thread: Tactical segway
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post

As a person who has been professionally trained in firearms by the military, my perspective is that the choice of a high-powered semi-automatic rifle ("assault" or not) for home defense can only be justified if one thinks one's home will be invaded by something other than an individual or two who are primarily intent on robbery.

For anyone else, the rounds fired are far too powerful for use inside a home, easily able to penetrate walls and kill anyone (including family members) who is unlucky enough to be on the other side. It's an individual choice, but it's a bad one for "home defense", apart from the apocalypse or attack by "jack-booted government thugs". In addition, you can't get into K-Mart (and an increasing group of other stores), with an AK slung over your back (legal or not) unless you intend to use it to gain entrance. So a bad choice for most everything....except military or paramilitary usage.
I am glad to hear that you are a veteran. Thank you for your service.

As far as you deciding that one weapon or another is too powerful to use in a home, because the rounds can penetrate the walls, and kill people in another room, I agree. You can make these decisions for yourself, but the constitution guarantees that you are not empowered to make those decisions for the rest of us.

With regard to the walls in my home, many are drywall. I can penetrate them with a screwdriver in my hand. I don't know of pretty much any weapon that cannot shoot thru the walls in my house. I know a .22 rifle can do it. I know my 9mm semi automatic hand gun can do it. I imagine a .38 revolver will easily go thru the two layers of drywall and still be a threat.

Surely, my M16 (from years ago in the Army), has a round however, to make your point, that would easily go thru several walls. I suspect it would continue to an outside wall and possibly stop in the plywood sheeting.

I do not know why you have made the value judgement you have made on the types of weapons in the video, and while I endorse you making your choices, I feel it a bit out of place to offer up the judgement calls on the other people's choices as appropriate or not, on this forum. I do not know enough about each individual situation to offer such blanket condemnations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote