View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I actually knew what all of those were, except the vacuum tube ROM. Interesting stuff. Maybe someone will replicate it in Minecraft
I once had a display which had that. It had the torsion delay line as its character memory, circulating those bits around and around. The CRT sweep had a vertical wiggle added, at a frequency I think 6 times the character rate.

Rather than sweep pixel by pixel, the horizontal sweep was one sweep per character line. The bits were decoded by a pair of DA converters to address the proper character in that character generator ROM tube (it wasn't called that, of course, but that's what it was). The beam was swept horizontally, with the same 6x wiggle rate applied to the vertical, sweeping it over the shadow mask. The anode current was then used to switch the main CRT's beam, replicating that mask on the screen.

I don't remember what became of that; I even had the service manuals for it. It'd be a museum piece now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.