View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

This is interesting I have made several calls.

The first was to the police department in a town near here and the lady who answered said that if I brought them she wanted a ride. She said that she was sure that they were allowed. That would fall under the Texas State Law that allows us to use roads that have posted speed limits under 30 or 35 mph, I don't remember which. then I called the Department of Public Safety in Austin and was told that they are not allowed on public roads, because they are not registered.

The second one that I called was an open air mall and was told by the manager that they were not allowed, but that if I would call ahead and let him know that he would allow us to use them on a weekday when the crowd was low. I suggested that his security people might try them out and said No, he didn't want them asking for Segways.

The third one of our local State Parks told me that Segways are legal even if you are not handicapped in all Texas parks.

I called the Zoo in Tyler and was told no, but they would call me back about handicap riders.

As some on here have said before, it is easy to say no. Maybe we should just not ask and wait to be told no, but I don't want to load up, drive to the location and then have to stop, load and leave. In a month the new ADA laws will come out and we will see how that effects us.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote