View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I find it interesting that while I do not think it is appropriate for the building of a Mosque near ground Zero, even if it is not illegal, the conversation is not going at all to a real legal problem where the government of New York has denied permission for the building of a church at the Ground Zero site.

A Greek Orthodox Church, called St. Nickolas, was crushed by the falling of the towers. It was an established church at ground Zero, with hundreds of years of history, that has been denied permission to rebuild. That's right, an established church that has applied for and not been given permits to rebuild, yet the Mosque had no problems.

This is a function of political correctness not only running amok, but being very selective in doing so.
This may be the lamest post you have ever made, Karl.

First of all, 51 Park is not a "mosque", although it commonly called that by those who want to crank up the ambient noise. Mosques don't have culinary schools and basketball courts. As far as I can tell, the facility is everything westerners could possibly hope for from Islam. Yet, those people, mostly American citizens, are being treated as pariahs for political reasons. It's shameful and disgusting.

Then, let me trash your claim that St. Nicholas has "hundreds of years of history". A lie, Karl? Or, just a failure to do any investigation. Where DO you (and Darth) get this stuff? St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church was first founded in 1916, and services started in that building (which was not originally built as a church) in 1922. So it has some history, but it was not historic, by any definition.

Karl, you allegedly served on Wilmington, MA Zoning Board of Appeals. Unless Wilmington is in some zoning backwater, you know full well that there are a myriad of reasons why a building permit legitimately might not be issued, even to rebuild the same facility in the same location.

Please tell us, Karl, that you have investigated this situation and know the precise situation, and that you're not just venting conservative plasma out your aft port

Tell us about the 2008 agreement between the Port Authority and St. Nicholas. Tell us who ratcheted up their demands so that this agreement later fell apart. Tell us where the replacement church was to be built, and who owns that land where the permit was denied.

When you have done some investigation work (which you clearly have not done to date), come back here and admit that you were wrong to make such a baseless allegation.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote