View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #47
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrijim View Post
I heard a few months ago from two different Segway dealers that the (Ninebot) Segway Elite Plus is no longer available the USA because Segway couldn't get UL approval. One dealer said Segway had a warehouse stocked with them in the USA they can't sell now. I have a feeling that this could imply a lack of safety redundancy, but I'm just guessing. That makes me a little nervous about riding mine now. Luckily I also have a Segway i2 SE (slightly nicer than the obsolete i2). I haven't heard any such discussion about the redundancy of the Segway miniPro, or the new Segway miniPro Lite and miniPLUS models. Hopefully the fact that they are legal in the USA implies redundancy.
Too bad about the Elites. UL approval would focus on how the electrical power is distributed safely. Things like size of wire, how the wire is routed, battery management, etc, would be in their realm. I doubt they have anything to do with rider physical safety or redundant "keep upright" systems.

UL approval will make sure you don't get electrocuted by the device or that it doesn't catch fire. Making sure at least as far as following common power design industry standards can make you.

Not falling on your head while riding a self balancing device that puts your feet side by side at 13+mph is the job of DOT or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Come on. If people can ride skateboards and rollerskates without complaint, MiniPros should be fine. Yes, they don't come equipped with airbags or backup balancing systems but they aren't any more dangerous than Segway i2 SE's. Just ask the Segway owner's next of kin or the honorable President George Bush.

I figure the failure rate for vacuum tubes is why the Segway needed redundant systems
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote