View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You must be charging your batteries with magic electrons if they last 8 years! I never got more than about 40 months before they were so degraded they were not really useable, especially in cold weather. Of course, it could be that recent batteries are significantly better than the ones produced say 5 years ago. My segways were always used for commuting, which was use on the road as an electric bicycle- slightly grey area in the uk but definitely less grey than trying to ride on the pavement where you would not get further than the first policeman without being stopped and charged, so most use at 12 mph. The Lithium batteries were definitely less durable than the NiMH batteries, in my experience, though they obviously had much lower capacity. At one point Segway sent out a questionnaire, trying to establish the sweetspot for preferred range and charging rate- do you want a battery that takes two days to charge and has a range of 30 miles, or one with a range of 10 miles and charge time of two hours. I don't think they saw a sufficiently clear pattern in the responses because the batteries were never changed.