View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Very interesting thread.
@QuadSquad

"In order to be regarded as having a disability and being protected under the ADA one must have a substantial limitation in their ability to walk."

I am mobility impaired to the degree that I have to avoid any activity that involves walking more than a short distance. I have never had anyone question my disability, and would be offended if anyone would. It is a matter between me and my doctor. I am well aware of the apparent abuse of disabled parking permits, but question how such misuse could be policed. Isn't there protections in the ADA against challenges regarding the severity of a person's handicap? The more basic question is, what is the larger problem, abuse of disability status or denial of the right of access for disabled folks.
Under ADA 2010 the only question anyone can ask about your disability is if you have one. They must take your permit card as sufficient proof. If you do not have one, then they must take your word for it unless there is visible evidence to the contrary. Not all disabilities are visible, but if you are turning cartwheels in the parking lot, they might have reason to question your status. That one of course has the potential for a problem...

As for which abuse of ADA is the bigger problem, that's a judgement call... They both create a problem for the disabled.

As for abuse of handicap spaces, that one is another sticky one. I've been told that the store has no power in the matter even if it is solely their parking lot...and I've never seen city police checking for that kind of violation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote