View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Both of ours are 2007 models. The adjustment knob is one of very few glaring engineering deficiencies with the I2's, IMO . . . . other than the fact that there's no shut-off switch to keep from running the battery down. It's nearly impossible to grip that tiny polished knob firmly enough to hand tighten it to keep the height adjustment where you want it, especially if you're taking it up a flight of stairs. They did give it very fine threads which gives you a little more 'leverage' but it would have been very easy to give the knob a flat space so you could get a better grip on it - If they had made it a hexagon or an octagon would have worked lots better

I considered several 'fixes' because I just wasn't going to spend $18 plus $4 shipping for an ounce of plastic, which is what most of the people making these were charging when I first looked into buying one 18 months ago. I understand making things using 3D printers probably isn't cheap, but I just wasn't willing to pay that - I was gonna epoxy a little metal bar to the front of the knob, but that would have looked pretty tacky

These ones are a little cheaper and definitely more robustly designed than most of the others. For people like us who remove the knob every time we load the Segs into the van, they're a real lifesaver . . . . and $14 is way easier to justify than $22 . . . . at least for me it is

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote