View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
SKPeterson
SKPeterson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Could We Take a Small Step Back?

I'm starting a new thread. Always a good idea when a NEW thought is being introduced.

Recently, Gihgehls made this statement in another thread:
"Wise words from a junior member. Everyone should look at this post as an example of how outsiders familiar with other online communities see us."

Behavior such as name calling...

...and the generally immature way that some innocent and (what could have been) minor disagreements are handled... or beaten to a sickening death. On-line forums have one primary "fault" (or feature) in common: everyone is hiding, more or less, behind the anonymity provided by the medium, whether we like to admit it or not. We're all able to "say" the first things that would fall out of our mouths if some rational thought weren't used to first filter and refine our initial emotions. Recently, I provided negative "reputation" to a member of this forum, and I pressed "SUBMIT" before my rational mind had a chance to catch up with my fingers. I regret that action, and to the person whose reputation I degraded, I offer my most sincere apologies.

I state regularly that I am not an owner, but want to be eventually. That means that I'm looking up to the other owners on this forum for inspiration and guidance. Many threads are quite good, and provide lots of valuable information. A few others, though, really color this forum in a very bad way.

The Segway is a high-tech transportation device. I (still) consider the users of such a device to be part of the upper tier in (at least) maturity, reasoned thought, and communication skills, in spite of what some YouTube videos might lead you to believe.

Lately, though, that respect has taken a bit of a hit. As another junior member, I'm asking if we could please think about how our posts make us "sound" before pressing the "SUBMIT" button. For myself, that is my pledge to this forum.

That being said, I hope I sound like I'm trying to practice what I preach.

Best wishes to all.

SKPeterson
SKPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote