View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Question Asked about applying my week long rental to an i2 purchase...

I have not seen the "boat" post, so I apologize for not understanding the reference. Sorry Byped.

However, I did want to update everyone on the i2 computer package I want to purchase from the Santa Monica Dealer just a couple miles from me...

Called them after lunch and a woman said they would be happy to sell a BASIC unit now with an expected delivery some time next week. But if I wanted all the stuff that comes in the Commuter package-- I would have to BUY IT ALL SEPARATELY AT FULL MSRP! All they needed was a $500 deposit to place the order...

"No., I said, "Considering the retail cost of all the separate components, that just doesn't make sense to me."

I again made it clear I was willing to wait for all the stuff in the Commuter package, plus add a headlight, accessory mounting bar and lower cargo frame. I'll probably go to a bike shop to look for an audio warning bell or buzzer, as required by California's SB 1918 for MOVs. I doubt the dealer would carry one, let alone sell it for a reasonable markup.

The sales lady kept asking if I wanted a "machine" now. I kept saying "No, I want the Commuter package along with it. The basic machine isn't as useful to me otherwise."

She eventually admitted she had no idea when those accessories / packages were going to be available and therefore couldn't order them now, but would call corporate to find out a firm date. I told her I had heard on the net, possibly mid-Novermber. *shrugs* She's supposed to call back and let me know tomorrow what she finds out... I would think by now, the sales people should know what's going on?

Then I asked if it was possible to apply my $500 rental from August 19th, 2006, to a new machine purchase as stated on their web site. She first said, "No. Usually people buy the machine they're renting right afterwards."

I replied, "But the i180 I rented isn't being made anymore and the i2's came out during the period I was renting..." She quizzed me again if I had rented from them, even though she mentioned earlier what machine I has used (i180). Then she said she would check further into it, but when she called back later in the day to confirm the details of exactly what I wanted; she never mentioned applying my week long rental to the purchase price of the package...

Hmmm. Disappointing.

I can just as easily give my money to a different dealer in Burbank (15 miles away) or Long Beach (22 miles away) if the local people don't play by their own "rules". Their web page clearly states that any rental can be applied to a future purchase. There were no exclusions or limitations concerning the tort published on their site. In fact, I'm going to print it out now, before they change it, then bring it with me when I eventually talk to the owner of the store in person...

http://www.segway.la/rental.php

What do you guys think I should do?

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by byped
I like the "boat" reference - I think from Karl? Was in one of the past threads.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote