View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #21
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

In fact, what I wrote was, " Armed with more complete information, one has a much better chance of determining what is factual and what is merely opinion..."

One still has to do research. One still has to be able to discern the difference between high quality information and that from a website (or other source) which has no credential, education, or experience in the topic at hand. One's must be able to resist cherry-picking information that will only confirm one's pre-existing beliefs. One must be willing to consider the possibility that one's pre-existing beliefs may be wrong. One must be willing to have one's theory (perspective) and data subjected to peer review. Some people are not capable of doing these things, and are thus poorly equipped to come to an accurate conclusion, or to be a scientist theselves.

Quote:
Bureaucrats like to pontificate. There are no restrictions on if bureaucrats can be scientists or not. Those who must publish to keep the public (tax funded) dollars rolling in are not immune from pontificating.
Choosing to believe that scientists pontificate, but really don't know anything about their chosen field is a serious problem (for civilization, in general) especially when combined with "I don't know anything about that field, but I sure know more than them bureaucrat scientists". Where then, does one get quality information about lightning strikes, or any other complex topic outside of one's own personal expertise? Refusing to consider educated and experienced viewpoints is Dark Ages thinking. (I could explain, again, why crouching and putting feet close together can help prevent more serious lightning injuries, but apparently one has to be an electrical technician, or engineer, or at least have some understanding of basic electricity, so I will not waste the space).

So, please feel free to continue to base things on a fundamental misunderstanding of basic statistics. Don't bother to try to avoid dangerous weather. Don't consider trying to find some type of shelter. Don't even bother to get off your Seg while lightning is crackling around you. Perhaps you'll even want to get some personal proof that your perspective is correct, and those stupid bureaucrat scientists are all wrong, and head for open high ground during the next few lightning storms! If it turns out that reality trumps your personal opinion, I am willing to submit your "test results" to the Darwin Awards for consideration.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Civicsman; 05-27-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote