View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
My goodness, isn't there anyone that can close threads around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Agreed!!!!!
I would agree that certain parts of this thread could do with being removed but why close off the whole thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
You missed my point.

You did think of a pink elephant. You did think of a red and white zebra. Neither exist for real, yet you had those images in your head.

My point however, is that you did not even consider a grey elephant, did you? (Be honest)

You did not even consider a black and white zebra, did you?

That is my point. And, even if you did think of a proper elephant or zebra, these are very common images we can all come up with.
Maybe I did. But it doesn't mean I would agree with it when I found it.

I just think that it is not as simple as you make out. You appear to be assuming that people will make the leap that you describe. Some might, some might not. For marketing to be effective you are normally bombarded with a message, carefully and cleverly designed to appear to certain needs, fears or emotions. These random fail videos, no matter what the subject, do not make me think the devices are not safe. I think there are risks associated with them - and being stupid on them or obviously not using them correctly increases those risks. But I can't see a carefully planned strategy of anti-Segway marketing material in these videos. Or, to be more precise, no more a coordinated attack on Segways than any other time of subject matter covered in other fail videos.

This is a Segway forum for enthusiasts and interested people. I don't want there to be lots of negativity about Segways in the forums but I expect a little reality. Some good aspects, some bad aspects - some funny and creative aspects. We can't pretend or shy away from the fact that sometimes riders will get it wrong and fall. We are not selling Segways here. We are talking about everything Segway related. Should we hide their weaknesses or rather discuss them and come up with ways to get around them - or, in the case of Segway fails, suggest ways to avoid Segway fails? You say you like to refute "lies" so why would you not want them listed here so you can confront them?

You've made it clear you do not appreciate the video being here. Personally, as a Segway fan, I did enjoy seeing the video. I got a few laughs out of it. Most of which I'd seen before. This forum should contain EVERYTHING about Segways, the good and the bad and the funny.

And do you know what people used to say to me about Segways, when I used to do my Segway tours? They used to ask whether it was possible to fall off them! I made it very clear that indeed it is very possible to fall off them - but the chances are they won't if they listen to what I would tell them. A bit of reality did them good.