View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Karl, which posts from Bob and Lily are you referring to? I feel I should really read them before responding to yours... so my response here only directly relates to what you have said. And I think that in general, I would agree with what you have said.

However, if the matter is so trifling and insignificant, I don't think it is always worthwhile nitpicking, especially if the point is otherwise only a small part of a much stronger and accurate argument UNLESS, the correction can be done politely and with the best interest of the discussion in mind.

The second comment I would make is that in my experience, its not that people mind other people questioning or correcting their views/mistakes, it is more likely that people take offence at the manner or tone of such replies. As we all know, it can be difficult to convey the intended tone without any room for misinterpretation. Also, if people make a habit of correcting "falsehood's", and that is their only contribution, then even if their tone is eloquently put and they are indeed correct, people will see beyond their words and assume that person is just being a troublemaker or contrary just for the hell of it, rather than someone on a quest for truth and justice.

Oh, and I also agree with what Rob has just posted ahead of my post.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 07-16-2011 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Noticed an intermediate post, posted by Rob