View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs down Why ignite a fuse?

My initial reaction to reading this post was, "why start a very deep and potentially volatile thread when it will very likely only polarise opinions with no useful outcome?"

I feel some contributors need to over-analyse/disect/pursue a tangental issue unreleated to an opening post which then degenerates into a personal conflict of words. It alienates the vast majority of other viewers and then opinions (I suspect largely adverse opinions too) about the personalities of those prolific posters are formed by readers, even if no comment is made on the thread. Philosophical debates on here tend to be dominated by a very small number of this sort of contributor.

The trouble is the prolific posters have a wealth of useful knowledge and information that they potentially can impart, however it does require the wheat to be sifted from the vast majority of chaff. This is too much trouble for a lot of forum readers.

I know the "General Discussion" section of the forum is for miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions, but is this a debate for SegwayChat?

I don't post a lot on here although I read almost every day...I often feel frustration at how some threads dissolve into tit-for-tat exchanges. I see another example emerging.