View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #205
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Snow . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
You have my unqualified respect sir - Gliding in windchill temps below zero! Hopefully there was no snow or ice involved

I have two electric cars and it's a well documented fact that Lithium batteries lose a big chunk of their output in sub freezing temps. Once you've driven a few miles, the discharge warms the battery and it begins to perform normally again. Most EV's have a battery warming capability and will not allow you to recharge until the pack is above freezing

Don
Snow is not too bad, Trigger is an X2 with larger than OEM shoes. Ice can be difficult and quite dangerous as the tires spin separately causing in-balance on a regular basis. Also, my major concern is the salt or other road prep degrading Trigger over time so I try to stay on the sidewalks as much as possible.

I always thought that the battery discharge / charge on the down slope / braking heated the system up and stabilized the voltage after initial use. In many cases, I'll take a quick glide locally before I start a longer glide just to heat up / equalize the batteries.

The priority for cold weather gliding, besides a full charge, is proper apparel.

GLIDE ON!!!!!
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote