View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yes they figured out it was easier to build a car here than literally a slow boat from China?
In the late 1980's and early 1990's, when the Japanese companies decided to build factories in the USA, there was essentially no automotive manufacturing in China, and Korea wasn't building cars that could be successfully exported to the USA. At that time, it was significantly cheaper to build cars in Japan and export them to the USA. Yet, companies started locating factories in the USA.

Quote:
Do you also notice every one of those companies are in the right to work states?
Many are, but what's your point? If a company provides decent compensation, without the need for collective bargaining, what is the issue? I'll also point out that Honda has a huge manufacturing facility in Ohio. You may also remember NUMMI, Toyota's joint venture with GM, in California? These were some of the first, and neither are right-to-work states.

Quote:
Did you know the American auto industry imploded?
Yes, I noticed. Freedonia is very much closer to Detroit than Arizona. People here know many who lost their job. I don't understand what this has to do with my assertion that foreign car companies, providing jobs with good working conditions and reasonable compensation, are not the spawn of satan.

Quote:
Can I ask why a republican Congress person lied outright to the people of the factory that if they went union VW was leaving? You think that would sway anyone?
I agree completely. I think Sen. Bob Corker, for one, should be tried for violating US labor law.