SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just bought a SoloWheel... (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32064)

Tritium 06-30-2013 02:00 PM

Just bought a SoloWheel...

I had been hearing about the Solowheel for years now, and at one point, decided I wanted one, so after looking around, I saw that the retail was set at $1750 and nowhere could you find one cheaper, so I put that idea to the side for a while.

Last week, I saw an auction for a solowheel and it was at $700, I decided to put a couple bids on it and soon it got to around $1300 and I got outbid so I stopped.

Then I woke up this morning to see that the Solowheel auction ended in 20 minutes, so I put a final bid of $1350 on it in the last 5 seconds, and viola! I've won!

The seller was semi-local so I'll be able to save money on post.

I have a use for it, where if I need to take a vehicle with me where the Segway isn't allowed, the solowheel can fit in a shopping bag or backpack so I'll have no trouble with Amtrak and the like, right?

I don't quite know how I'll be able to use the thing, but if I attach a pole to the handle, it may help.

Always looking to try new modes of transport, next stop, Robin M1 testing.

Does anyone here own a SoloWheel?
Any tips to prevent me getting even more disfigured?

Bob.Kerns 06-30-2013 04:21 PM

The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.

Tritium 06-30-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns (Post 229830)
The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.

I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500

Bob.Kerns 06-30-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tritium (Post 229833)
I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500

He indicated it was on the order of $400.

In my experience, transit agencies are pretty paranoid about risks. What to you or me is a tiny risk, doesn't look so tiny when you scale it up to thousands of people daily.

A Segway ended up on the BART tracks a while back, when the owner suffered some medical issue. Baby carriages have also ended up on the tracks; there was another case of this just a few weeks ago -- baby included.

Tritium 06-30-2013 08:44 PM

For the record, the manufacturer of the solowheel states:
"Specifications:• Unit Weight: 24 lbs/10 kg"

KSagal 09-29-2013 07:15 PM

So, what ever happened here? Do you use your solo wheel? Did I forget another conversation? I was looking thru some off topic posts, and stumbled upon this short thread.

airdale 09-29-2013 08:13 PM

I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?

Bob.Kerns 09-29-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdale (Post 231861)
I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?

I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.

airdale 09-30-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns (Post 231862)
I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.

Thanks I never knew any of that!...When you rely on nothing but mobility devices Im allways hoping for somthing new and better...

I cant figure out how you get on it? from a seated posistion?

PeteInLongBeach 09-30-2013 11:29 AM

Online videos show the SoloWheel to have quite a learning curve, and even then it appears quite precarious. I think this is how the uninitiated / uninformed often view the Segway...